Saturday, February 6, 2010

Discipline, or a lack there of.

Fishing is a... discipline in the equality of men - for all men are equal before fish. ~Herbert Hoover

With all this winter weather you begin to think that you will never see a dry day.  Every planned outing for some needed fishing has been thwarted by snow, ice, and high water.  I steady myself with the thoughts that patience now will yield dividends later in the Spring and Summer months.  Dividends of adequate water levels and abundant hatches of insects for our trout friends to snack on.

So what does this all have to do with discipline?  Louis Pasteur said that "Fortune favors the prepared mind."  In my winter downtime I had planned on hours of reading and fly tying practice to prepare for the coming battles of the Spring.  I have been reading, or trying to read, a book by Dave Hughes called "A Handbook of Hatches" which educates on what trout eat and the flies that imitate them.  It seems like a great book, if I could just make myself sit down and read it.  I thought my downtime at work would be a good time to do it but the idiot box has a strong draw.  Either that or I have adult onset ADD, my money is on ADD.  I have wanted to start tying some flies but I can't seem to make myself sit down and start the process.  The jobs associated with tying, cleaning out my guest bedroom and organizing a spot to tie in, have put me off to the whole process.  LAZY!  The possible cost to me in supplies and the inevitable sparring match with the wife for funds also weigh heavily on my mind.  She is very good to me but I feel like I ask for too much when times are too thin.

Eventually, I will make time to do what I need to do.  The guest room will get organized.  The book will get read.  And I will go fishing again.  It all takes discipline to make yourself do it all!  I need to get me some of that discipline stuff, do they sell it online?

No comments:

Post a Comment