Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Trout Safari 2010 Wilson Creek

After leaving Dillsboro we decided that we would drive to Morganton so that we could get an early crack at Wilson Creek.  We had a good night's sleep and after getting some supplies from the grocery store we headed out to see if Wilson Creek would produce like past trips.  We decided to fish some popular deep pools since we managed to beat the crowds for once.  After we geared out we headed for the water.  I thought that it was going to be a cool morning but was quickly proved wrong.  My fleece jacket was burning me up so I paused for a moment and take it off then rig my rod with a new fly/dropper combination.  This brief break was all someone needed to walk up behind me and say, "I'm coming up behind you and I am going to fish that pool" (gesturing to the pool I wanted to fish).  I replied that I was headed for that same spot but he continued, unabashedly, to the exact spot that I was going to stand to fish the pool.  Needless to say, I was PISSED!  I tried to fish the pool from around a fallen tree but could not get a good cast.  I trudged off and entertained thoughts of tossing a big ass rock into the pool to spoil his fishing.  You can't count of courtesy anymore.  Unfortunately Wilson Creek is getting very popular and we picked Spring Break to go fishing.  To my detriment, I let this put me off on the wrong foot for the day.  We decided to abandon the popular spot and head for a less fished area.


The rest of the morning was one failure after the next for me.  It was turning into one of those occasions where I became my own worst enemy, fishing angry is no way to fish.  I could not do anything right it seemed, casting knots, loosing my pliers and hemostats, snagged lines, and a fall in the chilly water really put a damper on my morning.  I was ready to pack it in and head for home.  I caught up with my buddy Eric and composed myself long enough to straighten my gear out and tie on another rig.  We were walking out to the road when we decided to give a shady stretch under a tree a try.  I was eventually rewarded with a nice little Brown and a couple of Brookies.  I was back to center and ready to fish the rest of the day.  It's amazing what a couple of fish can do.



After eating lunch and taking off my wet fleece pants I decided that I would don my boots and wet wade the rest of the afternoon.  It had been hot all week and today was no exception with temperatures edging 80+ degrees.  Eric headed off upstream for some new waters and I decided to fish near were we ate lunch.  It is a popular spot but the crowds seemed to have slacked off after lunch.  When I got to the water's edge I was surprised to see trout rising and crashing the surface as they fed.  I tied on a Quill Gordon and immediately was rewarded with some hits and eventually snagged a Brook Trout.  After a while I tied on a Slumpbuster and watched a hungry Brookie attack it with gusto!  After catching a few more Brookies I ventured up stream to find Eric.  I found him fishing around the bend from me and as I walked up to the bank he snagged a big Rainbow Trout.  I tried to take some video of the fight but soon realized that I needed to put down the camera and help him land the fish.  Unfortunately I decided to leave my net behind so that I would wet wade without that bothering me.  Now I needed it.  I gently cradled the ugly looking stocked Rainbow - he had a terrible looking lower jaw that looked like it had been rubbed on the cement holding pond it lived in at the hatchery - as Eric tried to get the hook out of his upper mouth.  We struggled but managed to get the fly out and after a few minutes of resuscitation the fish swam off to be snagged again.  We caught a few more fish after that and the day ended on a high note.  It was time to go pitch a tent, make a fire, and toss back a few Maker's Marks.


 The next morning we awoke to some sun that quickly changed to overcast when we hit the water.  Prime fishing weather!  Again we were into the fish and spent the rest of the morning catching Brook Trout after Brook Trout on Stimulators and  Parachute Adams flies.  I even managed to hook the biggest fish I have ever hooked, ME!  My fly got snagged in a tree behind me and as I tugged it out of the branches the fly shot back and landed with a "thunk" on my right forearm lodging the hook point in my skin.  Surprisingly it did not hurt but I feared the fish nasty on it would cause my arm to fall off.  As you may imagine, getting a fly out of your arm with your weak hand is not easy.  In fact, it is quite hard.  I survived and it's just another scar to tell a tale about.   The afternoon ended with us getting soaked by a torrential downpour. 


Trout Safari was over.  We headed back to Greensboro to get back to our families and work, not so much the latter.  It was a fun week and I appreciated the fish I caught and cursed the ones that got away.  I can't wait to go again!

2 comments: